This is my view, based on many years of using candle magic. You can find lots of articles and videos online and the best thing to do is try a few ways, until you find what works for you!
As with most magic, the tools themselves are not magical – it is your intent and desire which charges and transforms the items so that they become your power tools.
In the case of candles, the act of preparation is the most important part of the spell. From the moment that you decide to use candle magic, you have already started your magical work and even your journey to the shops to get the candles, is part of that process. The more energy and effort you put into the process, the more successful it will be.
So, here’s what I do
- I think really carefully about what I want to get from the spell. There is no point in being vague with your magical intent. If you are using candle magic for healing, think about the outcome of the healing process…what affect will it have for you or the person you are carrying out the magic for? For example, if you suffer with joint pain such as arthritis, a spell to help you have greater mobility or less pain would be more effective than a “cure me” spell.
- I write down my desired outcome on a piece of paper. Sometimes, I choose paper to match the colour of the candle, sometimes I decorate it – or sometimes I use a scrap of recycled paper! Use what feels best for you at the time.
- I select a candle or several candles and to help focus my mind and energy, I will use particular colours for particular spells – I’ve added a list below to help.
- I will then “dress” the candle by rubbing it with essential oils and while I am doing this. I am thinking about the outcome I want to achieve. Visualising it and making it very clear in my mind. Dressing a candle can take a few moments or half an hour…again, when it feels right to stop, that’s the time to stop.
- You can also carve symbols, words, names etc into the candle as part of the dressing. I wouldn’t recommend using any embellishments such as ribbon, string or “jewels” because of the risk of fire.
- I use a simple candle holder if it is a single candle spell and if it is a multi-candle spell, I fill a baking tray with earth and place the candles in here. With multi-candles, you can position them in any shape or order you want to – I like to make sure they are touching so that as they burn, they blend together.
- I then light the candle(s) and spend some time looking into the flame, allowing my mind to wander. If you allow your eyes to become out of focus, you may “see” images. As soon as I feel the time is right, I burn the piece of paper and at this point, I say the magical intent out loud. Words are power.
- How long your burn the candle is up to you. You can let it burn all the way down, you can burn it over several nights and only burn it for 10 minutes at a time (this is similar to Catholic novenas where a candle is lit for 9 days/nights)
- Be practical and mindful – make sure that you don’t leave the candle where it can set fire to something or is in danger of falling over.
- When I have finished with the candle, I usually bury the remaining wax in a special place and for me, this seals the magic.
White - spirituality and peace.
Red- health,energy,strength,courage, sexual potency.
Pink- love affection and romance.
Yellow- intellectualism, imagination, memory and creativity
Green- fertility, abundance, good luck and harmony
Blue-inspiration, occult wisdom, protection and devotion
Purple Material wealth, higher psychic ability, spiritual power and idealism
Silver- clairvoyance, inspiration, astral energy and intuition
Orange – ambition, career matters, and the law.
Bergamot – protection from harm
Cinnamon – raise and enhance spiritual vibrations, clairvoyance, aids focus and concentration, good for personal protection
Clove – strengthens memory, protects from hostile negative forces
Eucalyptus – promotes healing of any hurt, depression or illness
Frankincense – frees one of obsessions and destructive habits, brings spiritual blessings, protects, exorcises and purifies
Jasmine – psychic protection, cleanses the aura, stimulates creativity and originality and attracts spiritual love
Lavender – frees from emotional stress, brings inner calm and peace, give increased awareness, brings stability and permanence
Lemon – evokes protective spirits
Myrrh – guards against evil, brings peace, helps in understanding personal sorrow
Orange - Brings harmony, raises power.
Pine - Cleanses, ends useless recriminations.
Rose - Unconditional love, peace, harmony, tranquility.
Sage - Powerful clearing and cleansing, removes negative energy.
Sandalwood - Stimulates clairvoyance, aids in seeing past lives, healing, clearing, protection, calms the mind.